Matt Wardman writes:
We have been highlighting Brewer non-payment of creditors for a long time now, mainly through data about unpaid creditors and more than £1m of debts from the period summer 2007 to summer 2008, which came into the public domain when J Mark Brewer purported to take “Saint Stephen the Great LLC” into Bankruptcy in Texas in 2008.
This is only the tip of the iceberg, however.
Throughout the period 2008/9 the recruitment agency staff were supplied to the latest operating company (ENC Ltd) running the former-SPCK Bookshops, even while the Charity Commission were investigating Brewer mismanagement. As with the previous generation of creditors shafted the year before, invoices were simply not paid. In this case the debt is £15,500.
Thanks to Paul, who left this comment on our “2 week warning” post on December 7th.
We are the recruitment agency that supplied the staff to the Brewers during 2008 / 2009.
Although we had a good working relationship with Philip Brewer at the start we have been left out of pocket to the tune of £15,500.
We thought that supplying staff to a Christian organisation would have been to some extent a “safe bet” only to be proved wrong.
We are an independent agency and losing this amount of money is, as you can imagine a huge blow to us. As we were supplying ENC Shop Management we probbly have no claim from SSG charity.
May I add that throughout this relationship all staff were paid in full every week and no one other than ourselves are out of pocket.
It’s very sad reading through the posts that the Brewers won’t tough up and pay their creditors. Since they are based in the USA we are finding it increasingly difficult to speak with them, but we’re not going to give up.
- We applaud that you have treated staff fairly despite the way you have been treated.
- Mark and Philip Brewer run a Christian organisation? Yes – like water runs uphill!
- They seem to simply ignore words until people give up and go away – and plenty have written debts off, but have been known to respond to embarrassment or legal action. They may be past responding to embarrassment now.
- We have no real knowledge of the position of ENC Ltd, or if it has assets which can be recovered – but I think that they will happily stonewall creditors until the cows come home.
- The only company that we *know* is trading is that running the Durham Cathedral Shop.